Re: parport_pc can't detect ECP on Compaq Armada 7400

Timo Ketola (Timo.Ketola@Epec.fi)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:30:56 +0300

Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Timo Ketola wrote:
>
> > What should I do / tell you next?
>
> Please try 'insmod parport.o; insmod parport_pc.o' and see what dmesg
> says.

Without parameters:

parport0: PC-Style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]

> The important thing is to miss out any parameters: your
> conf.modules seems to be providing 'io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3'.

Actually, I gave the parameters (io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3) by hand because
the parport_pc picked irq 5 even when the compaq setup says that the irq
of the port is 7 (and dma 3; io 378-37F, 778-77A). Now, when I check it
the irq 5 comes from conf.modules. But this doesn't make any difference.

I added some debugging messages into the code and in the function
parport_ECR_present in line

if ((parport_pc_read_econtrol(pb)&0x3)!=0x1)

the parport_pc_read_econtrol returns 0xFF. Doesn't that mean that the
extension registers doesn't show up at all? I wonder if there is some
configuration registers in the chip set where the ECP functionality
should be enabled first (I have checked the setup - there is nothing
more than disable the ECP port control). I have tried to get some info
about the hardware but no luck.

If you have something in your mind for me to try, I'd be very happy to
try it, even if it was modifying the kernel sources.

And, thanks very much for your answer - I couldn't imagine getting
support directly from developers from -- you know where...

--

Timo

--

direct: +358 6 2170 222 GSM: +358 40 5851 222 switch: +358 6 2170 111 fax: +358 6 2170 110 e-Mail: timo.ketola@epec.fi

Post office address: Street address:

Epec Oy Epec Oy Timo Ketola Timo Ketola Box 194 Kauppaneliö 1 FIN-60101 Seinäjoki FIN-60100 Seinäjoki