Re: rpc error

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
15 Sep 1999 10:01:27 +0200

Calathur Harish-Kaushik <chari0@cs.uky.edu> writes:

> hi,
> i am working on NFS version3 on linux . I am testing my client with a sun
> machine
> nfs server. I get an error
> when i do an GETATTR call
>
> GETATTR call failed:: RPC: Authentication error; why = Client
> credential too weak
>
> Could anybody help me out? this should not happen -- i am using a generic
> client call.

Which NFSv3 implementation is this? Is it one of my patches?

The above error usually means that the RPC authentication being used
is either wrong (i.e. not AUTH_UNIX) or has somehow been corrupted.
Please check, however, that the server isn't somehow set up to require
secure RPC using Kerberos or DES in which case, you'll need to adapt
something like Gerco's patches (can be found on
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~gerco/SecureRPC/).

----

If on the other hand you are designing your own NFSv3 client, you may
find the X/Open documentation useful. It is available for free (but
you are required to register your name) on

http://www.opengroup.org/pubs/catalog/c702.htm

It includes a description of the Sun RPC protocol (including the
standard authentication protocols), as well as NFSv2, NFSv3 and all
the locking and monitoring protocols.

Cheers,
Trond