Re: High Performance I/O stuff (more)

Jordan Mendelson (jordy@wserv.com)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:15:21 -0400

Jason Nordwick wrote:

> >Thread death signals are configurable
> >

> Configurable how? I looked through the pthread_attr_* stuff but couldn't
> see a way to change the signal delivered.
>
> >> If you really wanted to, you could have signals delivered for the ability
> >> to read/write to a file descriptor and then you would have Gaurav's model.
> >
> >That is basically what SIGIO is. Stephen has patches (older rev in 2.3.18ac)
> >that pass band information (pollin,pollout) and the fd in the siginfo
> >

> Just some clarification: these patches are different that the F_SETSIG patches?

When you F_SETSIG an RT signal, as you probably know it'll fill in si_fd with
the file descriptor. Stephen's patches also fill in si_band to tell you what
kind of operation the signal is for, that way you don't have to poll() or
select() on the FD to see what kind of operation should be performed (at least
that's my understanding).

Hopefully these will be integrated into the stable tree soon since without it,
SIGIO doesn't do much for you.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com