Re: ext2 file sizes

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:52:42 +0300

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 12:31:38PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
.... (using other operating systems than Linux at ia32 system) ....
> I'd say no on both claims here.
>
> a.) (most simple solution) Get an Alpha, Sparc64 or Power64 (not PPC)
> based machine

Initial condition was stated as: "ia32 system",
which excludes current 64-bit systems...

> b.) I don't believe Matti Aarnio's patches are too far away...
>
> Of course, at least for video & audio, using Raw-IO would probably be a
> third alternative.

Thanks for the "b", but for grabbing I would (myself) use
initially raw partition and Raw-IO, then I would pull the
data out from there in a more leisure pace to normal
filesystem for non-realtime task of editing -- and for
the playback I would again drop it into the Raw-IO...

For video playback (and grabbing) nothing really beats
filesystems with 32-to-256 kB block sizes, and schedulable
IO. Linux does not have such a beast - so far...
(Getting extent indexing into EXT2 would allow it to mutate
towards such wonder animal, though..)

If you want to play some, my LFS things are at:
ftp://mea.tmt.tele.fi/linux/LFS/

> /David
> // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\

/Matti Aarnio