Re: ext2 file sizes

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:57:08 +0200 (MET_DST)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 12:31:38PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
> .... (using other operating systems than Linux at ia32 system) ....
> > I'd say no on both claims here.
> >
> > a.) (most simple solution) Get an Alpha, Sparc64 or Power64 (not PPC)
> > based machine
>
> Initial condition was stated as: "ia32 system",
> which excludes current 64-bit systems...

Sorry, missed out that one... :/

> > b.) I don't believe Matti Aarnio's patches are too far away...
> >
> > Of course, at least for video & audio, using Raw-IO would probably be a
> > third alternative.
>
> Thanks for the "b", but for grabbing I would (myself) use
> initially raw partition and Raw-IO, then I would pull the
> data out from there in a more leisure pace to normal
> filesystem for non-realtime task of editing -- and for
> the playback I would again drop it into the Raw-IO...
>
> For video playback (and grabbing) nothing really beats
> filesystems with 32-to-256 kB block sizes, and schedulable
> IO. Linux does not have such a beast - so far...
> (Getting extent indexing into EXT2 would allow it to mutate
> towards such wonder animal, though..)
>
> If you want to play some, my LFS things are at:
> ftp://mea.tmt.tele.fi/linux/LFS/

Well... My largest disk at the moment is 200 MB, so...

(I do all kernel-dev at the University)

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </