Re: Swap on two drives

Rik van Riel (riel@humbolt.geo.uu.nl)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 00:34:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 laslo@wodip.opole.pl wrote:

> If we have a hipotetical machine with two harddrives,
> and on both we make a swap partitions, will Linux
> try to swap on not-actually-used disk ?

No. And there's a very good reason why this isn't implemented.

Writing out to swap isn't very performance critical (well, it
is, but not as much as reading). If we tune performance for
writing, we will probably put things on disk in such a way
that the (more critical) reading will have to be done in a
very nonoptimal way. A big no-no...

And even if the negative effects would be minimal, it just
wouldn't be worth it to make this optimization.

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.
--
work at:	http://www.reseau.nl/