RE: 2.2.12: serial driver swapping characters?

George Sexton (gsexton@mhsoftware.com)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:13:32 -0600

Yesterday, while working on a machine I was pinging through a ppp interface
to another machine (maybe 4 hops away). I noticed that on several of the
packets I got errors saying that byte 97 was expected to be 97 and was
instead 98. Or something like that. Unfortunately, I did not connect the
message with this thread at the time.

This machine was just going through a 16550A UART to an external modem. I
will try to reproduce this today and record the exact error message.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585
Fax: 303 469 9679

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
[mailto:owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu]On Behalf Of Mark Buda
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 1999 7:12 AM
To: Dag Brattli
Cc: The Doctor What; linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu;
linux-irda@pasta.cs.uit.no
Subject: Re: 2.2.12: serial driver swapping characters?

Dag> The Doctor What <docwhat@gerf.org> writes:
>> I have similar problems with my palm. I use pyrite, but the
>> symtoms are the same (wierd packet error, and then everything
>> else bombs).

Dag> I'm experiencing the same problem with 2.2.12, but I'm using
Dag> IrCOMM which emulates serial port communication over IrDA
Dag> (infrared).

My problem appears to be solved (so far). I removed my Megahertz
EM1144-T PCMCIA Ethernet/modem card and inserted a D-Link DFE-650 Fast
Ethernet PC Card, and the problem seems to go away.

I imagine it has something to do with the serial_cs driver. I'm using
version 3.0.12 of PCMCIA Card Services.

--
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.
http://www.clark.net/pub/hermit/