Re: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard

Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:19:12 +0200

Pavel Machek wrote:
> I've driver which essentially turns lucents winmodem into soundcard.

I'll add that it doesn't support all Lucent winmodems yet -- just
the Toshiba laptop ones and any compatibles.

But soon it will support every Lucent winmodem we know about.

> Now, question is where should it go. That winmodem uses interrupts so
> little that it can be nicely done using polling+userspace with zero
> performance lost. Still it is device driver. Should it go into kernel?
> [Well, drivers/sound/modem would be cool :-)]

I suppose it is a sort of sound device, with an interesting mixer. I
want to make sure we have a suitable interface to the DSPs too at I
intend to use them.

> Then, there's v34 stack. It is not written yet, but it will eventually
> get written. It needs sort of realtime guarantees. Should it go into
> kernel?

I don't think so. Ingo's low latency patch should give us all the
guarantee we need.

-- Jamie