Re: Resource Limits Architecture

Jordan Mendelson (jordy@wserv.com)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:42:15 -0400

Jesse Pollard wrote:

> > Ouch. Now every time I want to, say, perform a page fault, the kernel
> > has to check the process's resident set size against 7 separate limits?
> > And update those 7 limits too, causing 7 separate cache misses if
> > another CPU is hosting another thread of the same process and wants to
> > do the same thing?
> >
> You only compare aginst the minimum of the collection, computed when a
> job/session is started. All processes created afterwards deduct from the
> job/session accounting structure which would have only one value per
> resource.

Exactly, you do have extra memory overhead but as I see it, each of these
resource settings should be tunable at compile time so if you don't need
per-user limits, you can just compile them out.

Now all we need is to define every single resource we want to manage... I
don't suppose anyone has a list.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com