Re: update_vm_cache still in affs, hfs, ntfs and qnx4

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:58:06 -0400 (EDT)

[linux-fsdevel added]

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 asun@cobaltnet.com wrote:

> It seems, that update_vm_cache was removed old time ago from kernel
> (but not from includes), so affs, hfs, ntfs and qnx4 filesystems are
> compilable as modules, but unusable.
>
> fixing up hfs is on my todo list. i just moved, though, so it's
> currently on a backburner.

And I'm going to do AFFS part - I had to touch it anyway (it has a fairly
nasty races in the metadata part: unlink in one directory may reshuffle
the entries in another; find_entry() is not protected against that and
there are further races). Wrt the data part AFFS can copy new FAT.
Unfortunately that will not work for that OFS abortion. Quite probably
OFS will become a roadkill.
ObAFFS: do we really need to support links to directories? It
breaks quite a chunk of VFS and I would like to know how often they are
really used.
I'll start sending the patches as soon as I'll port the stuff to
.18-ac*.

QNX should be trivial - it looks like a UNIX fs.

Cheers,
Al
PS: net.resurrection after a month of net.death. Wading through 28Mb in
the mailbox is fun...