Re: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:33:16 -0400

Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > > Now, question is where should it go. That winmodem uses interrupts so
> > > little that it can be nicely done using polling+userspace with zero
> > > performance lost. Still it is device driver. Should it go into kernel?
> > > [Well, drivers/sound/modem would be cool :-)]
>
> Personally I prefer drivers/modem, as we may well need to include ADSL
> support eventually. Then again, current sound & modem hardware is
> increasingly integrated.

Yep. A variant of my motherboard's audio chip, the VIA VT82C686,
includes a modem codec.

Jeff

--
Custom driver development	|    Never worry about theory as long
Open source programming		|    as the machinery does what it's