Re: kernel space-user space memory access

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:54:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Krishna Murthy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can any body tell me how the process running in user space can
> access the kernel space memory allocated by kmalloc()?
> I want to process the network packets received from the eth controller
> card driver in user space.
>
> thanks
> kams

Make a device-driver (kernel module). Implement at least open, close,
and read.

If the device is open, write ethernet packets to your device-driver
buffer. Dynamically allocate/deallocate kernel memory to hold these
packets.

>From user-space, open the device and read from it.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
**** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ****
Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).