Re: 2.2.13 & gcc-2.95.1

kullstam@ne.mediaone.net
18 Sep 1999 21:30:42 -0400

I Lee Hetherington <ilh@sls.lcs.mit.edu> writes:

> Mikael Pettersson wrote:
>
> > This patch for 2.2.x (originally by Artur Skawina for 2.3.x)
> > eliminates at least one problem of using gcc-2.95, namely its
> > utterly stupid and unnecessary 16-byte stack alignment default.
> > (My 2.2.12 and 2.2.13pre9 kernels are compiled with gcc-2.95.1
> > and this patch, and they work fine.)
>
> Why is it utterly stupid and unnecessary? Have you benchmarked it
> both ways?
>
> I have benchmarked various programs and they do run faster with the
> 16-byte stack alignment on Pentium IIIs.

yes, but afaik from following the gcc/egcs list, the 16-byte stack
alignment is to improve floating point, i.e., double precision
numbers. (let me know if i am mistaken.)

the kernel doesn't use floating point itself, hence this may
be of dubious advantage to use for linux kernel.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[kullstam@ne.mediaone.net]