Re: Oops not catched by klogd

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:00:42 -0700

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:31:42 -0400 (EDT),
Didier Contis <didier@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
>Well, I cannot answer this question since after the oops I am unable
>to access the console. I can still switch from one console to
>another (alt + fx) but cannot login.

That indicates the machine is still running but a critical component is
hung. It is probably the disk I/O subsystem, in which case you will
not get any logs written to disk. If you have another machine nearby,
run a null modem cable, boot Linux with a serial console (see
Documentation/serial-console.txt), capture the Oops on the second
machine and feed it through ksymoops after you reboot.