Re: Cache thrashing?

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 16:24:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

>There does not yet seem to be a solution for that, but I have a
>few rough ideas.

I rewrote the reschedule_idle heuristics because the old 2.2.x heuristics
was buggy and made no sense to me.

The 2.2.x version of my reschedule_idle rewrote is here (against 2.2.12
but will apply cleanly against 2.2.13):

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/andrea/kernel-patches/my-2.2.12/SMP-scheduler-2.2.11-E

It's production quality so don't worry to apply it on your most critical
server. It's just been included into 2.3.x and infact people noticed it
while starting X 8).

Please Arthur try it and feedback producing some performance number.

Thanks.

Andrea