Re: [linux-tr] SysKonnect driver broken in new kernels?

Adam Fritzler (mid@auk.cx)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 23:51:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> So its something it doesnt do. Ok now the right question is
> "What changed in ibmtr.c over the same sort of period".

I'll try to take a look, but I have _no_ idea where to begin.

> Do you know roughly which actual kernel broke sktr ?

No idea. My first contact with this driver at all was last week. Someone
who's used the driver before might know better. What changes have occured
in netif_rx() (and related) lately? When did sktr first make it into the
mainstream kernels? It obviously worked then or it wouldn't have made it
in (right? :).

> > The major thing that breaks is sktr_wait(). Replacing it with a udelay()
>
> I fixed that in my tree. It uses udelay short short stops and schedule
> for long ones

Did it make it into 2.3.18ac6?

> > I'm not real sure what breaks recieve. I don't know enough about the
>
> Well netif_rx is supposed to pass a packet up to the higher layers. The
> board seems to be claling this. It also sets skb->protocol before hand
> which is correct. The only thing I can't see is who sets skb->dev. It might
> be adding skb->dev = dev before the netif_rx makes life happy - try it can
> you ?

No good. Anyway, skb->dev does get set on line 2570ish (rpl->Skb->dev =
dev);

> > Also, would a patch get accepted that renamed the SysKonnect driver to
> > something more like 'Generic TMS380'? (The TMS380 chipset is sortof the
> > NE2000 of token ring -- for both ISA and PCI cards.)
>
> Interesting. I didnt know that. You have example non syskonnect cards it works
> with ?

Yes. The Compaq PCI TR card is what I'm using right now. I also have an
old (1990ish) Intel ISA card that should work with this driver, and I have
some Thomas-Conrad PCI cards on the way that should be identical to the
Compaq cards. Anything that uses these chipsets should work, according
to TI:
- TMS380C16+TMS38053 [1st generation COMprocessor+Ring Interface]
(as on ISA Intel card)
- TMS380C20+TMS38053/4 [1st generation+Ring Interface]
(yet to see one of these, but its standard according to TI)
- TMS380C25+TMS38054 [2nd generation COMprocessor+Ring Interface]
(as on ISA SysKonnect cards)
- TMS380C25+TMS38054+TMS380PCIA [2nd generation COM+RI+PCI interface]
(as on PCI SysKonnect cards)
- TMS380C30+TMS380PCIA [2nd+ generation COMRI+PCI (same as C25+54 in
one chip)
(as on Compaq/Thomas-Conrad PCI cards)

Any of the 2nd generation chips support Dedicated (switched) token ring as
well. The only thing the TMS380 doesn't do is 100Mbit, which I believe
only Madge does anyway.

TI has been very open with information, including releasing the
microcode/firmware out with no restrictions. (I need to talk to them more
about this; but from what I can see, the strict warning at the top of
sktr_firmware.h can be lightened up a bit. You can get a copy of the
firmware just by emailing them and asking for it.)

In any case, the SysKonnect driver is a very generic driver and it should
be represented as such. When I get it working with all my cards, I'll
go through and do the name change and patches (including putting myself as
the maintainer).

mid

---
  Adam Fritzler
  { mid@auk.cx, afritz@iname.com}
    http://www.auk.cx/~mid/
  "Something in my systray is blinking wildly." -- DS