Re: Samba can't keep NT shares mounted

Matthew Vanecek (mev0003@unt.edu)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:51:34 -0500

Urban Widmark wrote:

> They don't refuse to maintain it ...
>
> ---
> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:50:05 +1000
> From: Andrew Tridgell <tridge@samba.org>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <samba@samba.org>
> Subject: Re: newbie: where and how to use smbmount with 2.04b ?
>
> > Somewhere in the documentation (don't remember exactly where) it
> > states that smbmount is not really supported by the samba team so it's
> > not enabled by default;
>
> It hasn't been supported by the Samba Team recently as no one on the
> team uses it. The fact that it is Linux specific also doesn't help.
>
> I have, however, just voluntered to start maintaining smbfs (and thus
> smbmount) so you can now consider it supported again. I've done quite
> [snip]
>
> See? He is also listed in MAINTAINERS.
>
> I guess he is a busy man, and I'm sure he'd appreciate all of our help
> solving this and other smbmount/smbfs problems. Yes, I know, time ...
>
> /Urban

In the README-smbmount file in the top dir of 2.0.5a:

Subject: smbmount / smbmnt / smbumount

The Samba-Team wishes to make known that the above programs are a part
of
the SMBFS software package for the Linux operating system. They are very
definitely NOT part of Samba and are in general NOT supported by the

I couldn't find the snippet referred to by Urban, but I *did* note the
heading in smbmount.c:

Unix SMB/Netbios implementation.
Version 2.0.
SMBFS mount program
Copyright (C) Andrew Tridgell 1999

Maybe there's hope if Tridgell has the copyright on it.....

On a more constructive note, what in NT/samba combination would cause
the connection to drop, if everything is working normally? By
normally, I mean, none of the machines are rebooted, net connections all
fine, etc. I would really like to have a place to start poking at, even
though I'm no expert C hacker. If there were some documentation around
describing the sequence of events that happens while a samba share is
mounted (i.e., after the initial mount, when it's trying to stay
mounted), those would be helpful, as well. Maybe some flowcharts or
something?

This thing has been a nasty bug for a long time. We need to fix it,
regardless if it's "samba's problem" or "smbfs's problem". A little
solidarity here would, I think, be a good thing.

I'm kinda surprised Linux detractors haven't picked up on this...

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis