Re: [linux-tr] SysKonnect driver broken in new kernels?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:58:25 +0200 (MEST)

Adam Fritzler wrote:

> Looks that the problem is actually in tr_type_trans() (net/802/tr.c). It
> got changed drastically between 2.1.107 (when the driver was put in) and
> now. Pasting the old tr_type_trans() into it and calling it seemingly
> makes it recieve just fine (it even tries to respond to pings now, but it
> fails...). For some reason the ibmtr driver wasn't affected by the
> change; I don't understand that driver's code enough to figure that out.

The ibmtr driver got changed together with the tr_type_trans rewrite.

> Now I can see that transmission is also broken. It sends something, just
> aparently not the right thing. I haven't had a chance to really look into
> it yet. I was happy for one evening to get a single direction going!

The IBMTR driver used to like packets laid out like this:

0 0x20

which 1) assumes that headers can't be longer than 20 bytes (*), and
2) makes things problematic for DMA-capable cards that want one
packet-buffer (i.e. without scatter-gather).

This rewrite makes things lots easier for other token ring cards, but
you'll have to adjust to the new layout:

<header> <data>
0 ??

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Roger.

(*) Which (according to older standards,) indeed used to be true.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------