Re: 1000ms delay in networking stack or driver, new bug?

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:07:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

> I've seen this after restarting networking with
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart. Redhat 6, hand-compiled
> 2.2.1[012] kernel, with nothing fancy except firewalling. I'v also
> seen multiples of seconds up to 5 and 6.
>
> Do I sense that the common denominator in this problem is that some
> form of DHCP/pump/whatever is being used? If that is common amongst
> everyone seeing this problem, it would be nice to know.

No, no dhcp here. The machine in question does just virtual hosting, uses
IP aliasing and firewalling, and has one tulip card running with the de4x5
driver. When I adjust the firewall configuration, I like to restart the
network with the sysvinit scripts and that's when the problem tends to
crop up. Could be correlated with tcpdump as I'm usually debugging
something when I notice it.