Re: 1000ms delay in networking stack or driver, new bug?

Derek Wildstar (dwild@linux.com)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:48:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> In article <199909201653.JAA00874@pizda.ninka.net> you wrote:
>
> > Do I sense that the common denominator in this problem is that some
> > form of DHCP/pump/whatever is being used? If that is common amongst
> > everyone seeing this problem, it would be nice to know.
>
> I only exerienced this once, so maybe it doesn't count, but:
> I don't use DHCP, I have two NIC's though (both RTL8139) and a i386/SMP
> machine. No special network-configuration configured. (So no pump, NAT or
> whatever). Networkload was significant though (bursts of > 60 Mbit/s).

I've experienced the same problem on an i386/single (pII) with a 3c575b
(PCMCIA) net card, no DHCP, a several kernels and version version of
pcmcia utils (either compiled w/gcc2.7.2.3 or gcc2.95.1/egcs 1.1.2, same
problem either way) The NIC/PCMCIA are compiled as modules -- though I
have yet to experience the same problem with 2.3.15-18 with cardbus
drivers linked into the kernel.

Hope this helps a bit...

-dwild