Re: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard (RT-Linux -when?)

Peter Desnoyers (pjd@fred001.dynip.com)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 00:47:15 -0400 (EDT)

Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Peter Desnoyers wrote:
> > A third possibility, although not necessarily a good one, exists -
> > you could make a simple enough interface to the DSP code from the
> > rest of the driver that it wouldn't change between kernel versions (&
> [...]
> If you're referring to code running on the hardware DSP, that is indeed
> my plan. An ioctl() to download code to the DSP, the code provided by
> the user-space package.

Actually, I was referring to native CPU code, and probably should have
said modulation/demodulation rather than DSP to be clear.

The point being that for limited applications, there are other ways to
get code into kernel mode besides loadable kernel modules, if you're
willing to do some work.

Peter Desnoyers