RE: IDE + SMP Lockup (no OOPS) in 2.2.12, 2.2.10

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:03:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Tom Livingston wrote:

> Andre Hedrick wrote:
> > Tom's issue is with the irq routing table of the ABit BP-6.
> > This problem is only adds to the complexity of the final answer.
>
> Actually, yes an no. I reported two separate issues last week. One was the
> corruption using the HPT-366.. which apparently was a shared IRQ issue.

it's easy to check wether it's a problem wrt. shared/unshared IRQs. Please
could you boot with 'maxcpus=1' LILO command line option - this will get a
single-processor SMP kernel, with the IRQ sharing properties the mptable
dictates. Basically if any IRQ sharing makes a stability difference that
is very likely not a generic SMP bug but a driver one.

-- mingo