Re: 2.2.10/12 kernel crashes

Stephen D. WIlliams (sdw@lig.net)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:39:37 +0000

I'm having a similar problem... Do you have the kernel compiled with SMP on?
I've seen some references to bugs in the SMP related code that is apparently
not a problem with a non-SMP kernel.

I do and I'm going to test it without SMP. One of my boxes IS SMP but most
are not.

It seems to be related to the SCSI driver since it crashes or panics when
there is heavy disk activity and log messages or the occasional console
messages indicate IO related interrupt problems. (Aeiiii, etc., very large
stack traces, or just a cold black screen completely dead.)

sdw

Nick Burrett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're running linux 2.2.10 and linux 2.2.12 on various servers here.
> The problem is that, from time to time, some of the servers crash.
>
> The biggest problem of all is that we do not know the reason for
> the crash, the kernel produces no output, the screen is blank, no
> keyboard, no network, no nothing.
>
> Since using kernel 2.2.0 and above, only in two cases has a kernel
> panic resulted in the display of an error message. Unfortunately
> this was not logged to file, the stack backtrace was greater than
> 25 lines, making the report unusable.
>
> I would like to find the answer to our problems, as these server
> problems are not rare. But since these problems only occur on
> live systems, what's the best way to go about trying to tackle
> this ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick.
>
> -

OptimaLogic - Finding Optimal Solutions     Web/Crypto/OO/Unix/Comm/Video/DBMS
sdw@lig.net   Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st
43392 Wayside Cir,Ashburn,VA 20147-4622 703-724-0118W 703-995-0407Fax 5Jan1999