Re: [patch] hashtable sizes for icache and dcache

Scott Henry (scotth@sgi.com)
22 Sep 1999 15:11:39 -0700

>> to the stock kernel to get better performances. It increase the ihash size
>> from 256 buckets to 16000 buckets that means 131k for the ihash. I enalrged also
>> the dhash from 1024 buckets to 16000 buckets as there are really lots of
>> hash entries.

A> That'll be nice on a 4Mb palmtop.

Yep -- Hard-coding a value suitable for a large config is just as
bad (maybe worse) for a small box than the reverse, hard-coding a
value suitable for a small config if for a large config. (uh, did
that come out right?)

Sounds like you found a new configurable(s)... auto-config would be
good, if you can come up with a good heuristic, but manual config
should be possible in any case.

>> I believe it doesn't worth to save 200k of RAM and to go slow (note
>> the binary image won't bloat as the hash is allocated in the .bss
>> section).

A> I don't believe we can go around throwing 200K of ram away. A few of those
A> and its starting to bite 16-32Mb boxes.

The nice thing about making such things configurable, is that you
can also make it smaller than it is now on a tiny config, like a 4MB
palmtop.

--
 Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com> /  Help! My disclaimer is missing!
 IRIX MTS,                   /  GIGO *really* means: Garbage in, Gospel Out