Re: 2.2.10/12 kernel crashes

Matthew Vanecek (mev0003@unt.edu)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:09:16 -0500

Robert Tennent wrote:
> > It seems to be related to the SCSI driver since it crashes or panics when
> > there is heavy disk activity and log messages or the occasional console
> > messages indicate IO related interrupt problems.
>
> I've had it happen to me a couple of times with 2.2.12.
> No SCSI, no SMP.

Throws much doubt on the hardware theory, I guess.

> Bob T.

me2. Only, mine is all-scsi. BL FlashPoint--BT932, on an Asus P5A with
a K6-350, not OCed, and 64M RAM. Seagate 4.3G SCSI HD, Panasonic 24x
CD, JVC XR-W2010 CDR. SiS 6326-based AGP card w/8M RAM on it. Walked
into my office this morning, and it was locked up tight. Magic keys and
all--nothing doing. No messages in the logs, nothing to indicate why it
locked up. This is a fairly common occurence with the 2.2.x kernels, as
evidenced by the numerous messages in the archives. It also seems to
happen over a wide range of hardware and under differing loads. I know
mine must have happened at or before 4:00am, though, because the
locatedb didn't get updated this morning. The ctime on it was for
yesterday morning at 4:00. Unless it could crash in the middle of
updating w/o changing the ctime...

Another problem is that the crashes are random, apparently. So, we have
random crashes which happen for no apparent reason. I haven't had one in
a while, though. THis is my first with 2.2.12, actually...

One thing that occurs to me--at what vga level do those who are crashing
start Linux? I generally start mine in fb mode 0317, and run X of
course, which might possibly cause a problem. Shouldn't, though, I
don't think. Other commonalities? THere's gotta be something similar
between all these crashes!

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis