Re: Oops in cgsixfb.c, SparcStation 20/SMP [2.2.12]

Chris Noe (stiker@northlink.com)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:49:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Mikkel Lauritsen wrote:

> > I'm guessing this is an SMP related bug/race, since fbc doesn't look like it'd do anything
> > this nasty on a UP system.
>
> Unfortunately yes - in my case it occurred on a UP system.
>
> Cheers,
> Mikkel Lauritsen - ml@catalogint.com

Well, just as another data-point, I was unable to reproduce it on my
SparcStation once I recompiled the kernel UP. Bummer.

It's definitely a locking buglet though; I've been reading up on spinlocks
and it seems like a read/write spinlock might be the thing to help. I'm
still unsure of where exactly the "writing" is taking place -- I see where
fbc is read (and dereferenced), but I don't see where it's scribbled
(causing the oops). The struct isn't very well commented so I can't
ascertain exactly what the fbc is all about; I'm guessing it points to
the frame buffer control register, but then why is it changing?

Hmph. The thoughts of an aspiring kernel hacker :)

Chris Noe
(stiker@northlink.com)