Re: Lockups with kernel 2.2.12 and 2.2.10

Sven Koch (haegar@comunit.net)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:42:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Todd Chauvin wrote:

> I have been experiencing occasional lockups with kernels 2.2.10 and
> (now) 2.2.12. In all the cases, the system locks hard -- none of the
> usual tricks work from the console. I am unable to log into the
> machine remotely, but for some odd reason the machine DOES respond to
> ping. The _only_ way to recover the machine is to push the reset button.
> Not a single thing is written to any of the system log files.

I've seen the same with 2.2.12pre6 here, AMD K5, PCI-NE2k Ethernet, 48mb
RAM, S3-Virge. Installed is a heavily customized SuSE 5.3 (libc5), gcc
2.7.2.3

The Lockups occured without X, without ppp (I've been offline that
time) and the machine ran lokal mail, http and dhcpd, main use via ssh.

ssh connections and console (no fb) stopped dead, nothing in the logs,
nothing on screen, magic sys-rq did'nt respond, only pushing the
reset-button helped.
Can't use serial-console as both serial ports are in use (modem and
mouse).

c'ya
sven

--