Re:RFC: Get rid of CONFIG_PROC_FS, was Re: "CONFIG_PROCFS" problem , in 2.3.18ac8

Richard Guenther (zxmpm11@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:39:16 +0200 (METDST)

Hi,

Instead of arguing wether proc-fs should be mandatory better
try to unify /proc and sysctl from the kernel side of view so
that /proc is really just the "human readable" part for which
also the machine readable part is accessable via sysctl.
This could clean up userland tools, too.

Of course one should split the real proc part out of /proc
away to a pidfs or the like. (mapping pidfs to sysctl seems
hard)

Richard.

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not a "kernel god" but in case you are also interested in opinions of
> ordinary mortals -
>
> excellent idea! The only arguments against it that I heard were "ah, but
> we build embedded Linux system and every byte of memory is important".
> This argument is not serious and should receive a decent reply such as
> "touch, in'it?".
>
> Also, all your suggestions seem excellent but I would add something
> slightly more radical but, imho, also useful. How about making /proc also
> mounted automatically? Sure, one can also manually mount it elsewhere as
> many times as one wants but ensuring that /proc is *always* there at
> /proc seems a good idea. The specific location "/proc" is part of some
> standard (can't remember which) so it is not too bad to hardcode it.
>
> Regards,
> Tigran.
>

> -

Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
PGP: 2E829319 - 2F 83 FC 93 E9 E4 19 E2 93 7A 32 42 45 37 23 57
WWW: http://www.anatom.uni-tuebingen.de/~richi/