Re: Ext3 filesystem info?

Dr. Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:37:45 +0200 (MESZ)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> It can't be easily raised. The problem with NFS - the protocol only has
> room for 16 entries. As long as communication with non-Linux
> systems - fileservers or clients - is done this limit must be respected.
> The only way to handle it when the host supports more than 16 is to truncate
> the list to 16 when dealing with the remote system. Then you get the problem
> of which 16 out of N (where N > 16).

Oh, yes! You are right. I completely forgot about NFS. Even worse, old,
classical NFS only supports 8 groups. At some NFS version (or as part of
some vendors defacto standard) it was raised a bit. I remember the NFS
problems we got with several (at that time pretty new) AIX servers where
root appeared to be in more than 8 groups which was a pretty new concept
then.

Michael.

--

Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de, or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on any machine in the net, it's very likely it's me.