RE: Kernel don't recognize scsi disk when install RH6.0

Shawn Leas (SLEAS@videoupdate.com)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:47:09 -0500

I think you have a hardware problem...

1) Is your SCSI autoterminating?
2) If not, do you have it terminated correctly?
3) Do you have your SCSI IDs set correctly, assuming ID7 for the
host?
4) Does any other OS successfully install on your messed up system?
5) Did you exhaust all other local resources before bothering high
level kernel gurus?

;)

-Shawn

-----Original Message-----
From: bernie zhu [mailto:berniezhu@usa.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 1999 3:40 AM
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Cc: linux-scsi@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Kernel don't recognize scsi disk when install RH6.0

It is seems not the problem of mem,
kernel don't recognize the 4 scsi disks,
it is said that:

Unable to mount root fs, kernel panic,
scsi hosts:0

what should I do to make kernel recognize the 4 scsi.

thanks in advance

> Hello:
>
> I meet a problem:
>
> I have a server which installed 4 pIII 550 Intel CPU, and 4 scsi 8G
> harddisks, 2G memory. When I install RedHat5.2 with bootdisk, it display
> following message and no response any more:
>
> in swapper task ---- not syncing
I think RH has a memory-problem when installing. It seems as if
the ramdisk needs to allocate memory, and map that to just below
1G. As you have >1G ram, it fails. Try to add 'memory=512M' at
the bootpromt, and see what happens.

-S

--
Linux: causes blindness in laboratory tests with Mac users.
        -from 'The Anti-Linux IPO howto'

Simen Thoresen, computer nerd, enema cleaner and genuine nice gui.

____________________________________________________________________ Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1