Re: ESS Solo 1 MIDI

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:11:08 -0700

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:01:06 -0400 (EDT),
Ari Pollak <compwiz@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>I should have thought of that earlier.. but I added that to
>/etc/conf.modules -- The kernel doesn't complain about
>finding the synth0 module, but midi player complains about No such device
>/dev/sequencer. The permissions for it are as follows:
>crw------- 1 compwiz sys 14, 1 Apr 17 15:53 /dev/sequencer

The "No such device" message can be very misleading. For normal files
it means that the filename does not exist. For special files it can
mean that the filename does not exist but it is more likely that the
kernel code that runs when you open the special file has detected an
error. Unfortunately a kernel error also comes back as "No such
device". You probably have an I/O or IRQ problem, take it up with the
ESS Solo developers.