Re: OFFTOPIC: Best compiler ???

H. Peter Anvin (linux@locutus.mandrakesoft.de)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:11:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, German Jose Gomez Garcia wrote:

> After the release of mandrake 6.1 which is supposed to include
> pgcc-1.1.2 as the default compiler

1.1.3 actually. The primary reason for this is that we didn't have enough
time to fix up every package. The new development version (Cooker,
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/cooker/) is using gcc 2.95.1 for now. [We
consider pgcc 2.95.1 to be too buggy for use as a default compiler right
now - try its "-mmx" option and you see one of the reasons].

> I test them on a PII 450 with 512M as I already said I know benchmarks are
> not reliable ways to test compilers, but I was surprise by the performance of
> pgcc-2.95.1,

You only posted the sizes, not the actual performance results.

LLaP
bero

--
Tired of waiting for Windows 2000?