RE: IDE + SMP Lockup (no OOPS) in 2.2.12, 2.2.10

Tom Livingston (tsl@volition.org)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:56:09 -0700

I wrote:
> [discussion of ide + smp crash]
> However, I have two other abit BP6 based development systems, and
> my intent is to try to duplicate these results with one of these.
> They are local to me, and can be fucked with without worries.
>
> They are both Tekram based SCSI system, however, so some
> modifications were needed. I have temporarily claimed two 14G
> IBM 7200 udma33 drives for testing, and I ordered two PDC20246's
> to put in to round out the picture.

As an update, I have succeeded in getting both of the boxes to crash very
repeatedly. The trick turns out to be running drives on both interfaces on
a PDC20246. With SMP enabled and concurrent access to both disks, the
machine locks up almost immediately. It doesn't have to have more than one
PDC20246, or more than two ide drives attached.

Though the normal kernel doesn't produce an oops, I am able to get an NMI
OOPS with 2.2.12 + ikd + NMI oopser. However, I must obtain a null modem
cable to capture the OOPS before I can decode it an forward the results.
Hopefully that will be tomorrow.

kernels that crash this way: (all smp) 2.2.12 vanilla, 2.2.12 + ide,
2.2.13pre12, 2.2.10
kernels that don't crash: (any UP), anything pre 2.2.6 (I will also test
2.2.7-9 for my full report)

I write prematurely just in case you are working on tracking this down.
Since I've done it on three machines now, it might be reproducible on your
hardware Andre. I think SMP + PDC20246 with two drives attached will cause
it reliably.

Like I said, I will write as soon as possible with more kernel tests and the
decoded OOPS that ikd generates.

Thank you,

Tom