Re: Possible GCC contamination of Linux

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 13:54:41 -0400

o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s (david parsons) said:
> In article <linux.kernel.199909222137.RAA32145@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>,
> Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> >"Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> said:
> >> gcc 2.7.2, gcc 2.7.3, and gcc 2.8.1

> >Then those are broken, as I stated. Note that all of them are obsolete and
> >non-maintained.

> If ``-no-builtins'' deals with the problem with the obsolete
> compiler that's the only compiler trusted to build the kernel,
> what's the problem? This is, after all, the real world, and
> it's occasionally useful to work properly with the tools that
> you have.

gcc-2.7.2.3 for kernel 2.0.x
egcs-1.1.2 for kernel 2.2.x

Doesn't that work? Using later gcc's might break stuff if you aren't
careful. gcc-2.96 snapshots work fine for me with 2.3.18ac's

You can't just hang on ancient tools forever either.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616