Re: Mailbox corruption under 2.3.18ac7

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 16:24:18 +0100 (BST)

> On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> >2.3.18ac4
> > - suggests its kupdated
>
> kupdate _can't_ cause _any_ problem. Pointing the finger against it
> it's wasted time.

Anything can cause problems. And taking stuff out of context as well is
just silly. I listed the kernels to test and what each patch implies.
2.3.18ac4 has been confirmed ok by testers so far. That means its not
kupdated as it happens.

I don't believe you are infallible. I don't believe kupdated is broken. I
do believe in sensible progressive debugging. And if 2.3.18ac2 worked and
ac4 didnt then I'd assume kupdated - regardless of whether it looks right.

> If you want to reverse it on the next ac9 patch to have the proof I am
> right go ahead.
>
> Also I believe ac4 will reproduce the problem too trying harder.

I don't. All the reporters seemed to think it started during 2.3.18ac*

2.3.18ac6 adds the following stuff relevant to the VFS

o Fix filemap_nopage loops under low mem (Chuck Lever)

2.3.18ac6 adds the following stuff relevant to the VFS

o Fix filemap_nopage loops under low mem (Chuck Lever)
o Remove some more bmap cruft (Lennert Buytenhek)
o i386 tlb handling fix (Andrea Arcangeli)
o Remove some more bmap cruft (Lennert Buytenhek)

My guess is that 2.3.18ac5 will also be solid for people and 2.3.18ac6
will be the one that breaks it.

Alan