Re: Mailbox corruption under 2.3.18ac7

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 19:09:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

>Anything can cause problems. And taking stuff out of context as well is

Alan, kupdate _only_ recall sync_old_buffers(). Even if it would _not_
work (so it would not recall sync_old_buffers()), then you should _not_
see fs corruption anyway.

If there is fs corruption and you always unmounted cleanly the harddisks
then kupdate is _unrelated_.

>I don't. All the reporters seemed to think it started during 2.3.18ac*

I reproduced fs corruption on the postponed-msg mailbox with 2.3.18 clean
if I remeber well. But I don't remeber well so don't trust such
information. I had lots of patches (kupdate not yet developed for 2.3.x at
that time) and so I can't assure my fs corruption is the same seen by
other people. My one replaced the data of the file with zeros.

>My guess is that 2.3.18ac5 will also be solid for people and 2.3.18ac6
>will be the one that breaks it.

I think it's not trivial to reproduce, and I think that's the reason they
reported some kernel working and some other failing. I suggest to run
2.3.18ac2 again for a long time.

Andrea