Re: possible deadlock in smp_call_function()

David Wragg (dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk)
27 Sep 1999 02:21:02 +0000

Manfred Spraul <manfreds@colorfullife.com> writes:
> It seems that "wbinvd" doesn't clear _PAGE_GLOBAL tlb entries, although
> the Intel
> Pentium Pro Manual says that.

The part about wbinvd flushing the TLB only appears in the PPro
manual. It isn't there in the Pentium manual, and isn't in the current
IA32 manual (perhaps it was removed in order to cover the Pentium, but
usually that manual notes P6-specific behaviour, so maybe the omission
is significant).

> Do you know if there is a Intel errata about clearing _PAGE_GLOBAL tlb
> entries, or where could I search for such an errata?

The errata for the Pentium Pro are in the "Specification Updates"
document. Hunt around on Intel's web site until you find the list of
PPro documents (manuals, etc.), and there should be a link to it
there.

I don't see anything relevant in it though.

David Wragg