Re: NFS under 2.2.12

Robert K. Nelson (rnelson@airflowsciences.com)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:54:40 -0400

Stephen,

I was not able to get a fully acceptable solution. I work better under
the default version of NFS then I was ever able to using the knfsd
patches - but that may have been because so many things needed to change
at once and I am very limited in taking production machines down. Help
is on the way!

1. H.J.Lu has announced the incorporation of a patch which will resolve
many of the problems I've been having in using Linux NFS with other
systems.
http://kernelnotes.org/lnxlists/linux-kernel/lk_9909_04/msg00268.html

2. Alan Cox appears to have agreed that all of the new NFS stuff will go
into 2.2.14 - NO MORE NEED FOR NFS PATCHES! I believe that they will
also be a part of 2.4, which should be out before the year is out.
http://kt.linuxcare.com/kt19990920_35.html#3

3. I have been in touch with Chris Gafton of RedHat who is working on
the Lorax (RedHat 6.1) distribution. He states that the newest knfsd
stuff will be incorporated. Note that, in violation of longstanding
vaporware tradition ( :-) ), he won't give an ETA for Lorax.

4. A new version of autofs is announced which may (or may not) make it
into RedHat 6.1. This allows for automatic crossmounts and will make
administration much easier.
http://www.goop.org/~jeremy/autofs

5. NFS is becoming a priority in the Linux world. The last several
kernel archives show extensive threads about this. Not only does this
lead to more developers and better testing, but it also makes the
volunteers doing most of the work know that their efforts are
appreciated and urgently needed.

Bob Nelson

--
Robert K. Nelson