Re: The Linux Kernel Project Management System (INITIAL PROPOSAL)

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:06:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Larry McVoy wrote:
> But if you don't, if you aren't going to solve 100% of the problem and
> give people the assurances that they need that Peter, Inc. is going to
> stand behind Aegis for the next 20 years, then why are you here?

No offense, but hearing you politely tell him to fuck off makes my skin
crawl, especially because noone here has any assurance that -YOU- will
stand behind Bitmover for the next 20 years. Businesses go under, are
acquired, and have their focus change.

> Don't you think it is a little unfair to get people interested in
> infrastructure that you have no intention of supporting at commercial
> levels? What happens when you get interested in something else?

Do you think any of us here care? Many of us are here, supporting a
non-commercial project, at non-commercial levels. I think you just
insulted most of us.

> I watch the Aegis source tree and I'm not seeing this huge wave of
> development coming in from the free software crowd, so that means I
> need to depend on you.

Get a few core developers here behind it (which would happen by necessity,
since people here would need improvements and modifications too), and I
see this as a very insignificant problem.

> Are you going to make this work on all platforms? Where's the NT,
> Windows/98, Mac, etc., ports? Etc.

Refer to my previous comment about caring. I doubt many people doing
serious Linux development give a damn if there's a Windows 98/NT/2000
port.

Or did you miss the original subject (you know, that part about a -Linux-
project management system?), and choose to simply plow on with your
marketing spiel whilst belittling someone who produces a competing product
to yours for free?

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]