Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard (RT-Linux

Steve Underwood (steveu@infowebtelecom.com)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 06:49:24 +0000

David Luyer wrote:

> Steve Underwood wrote:
> > Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > > Let me expand a bit on that.
> > >
> > > You can hook a non-conforming modem/whatever to a PBX. As long as it
> > > works, that's fine. If it doesn't, it's your problem.
> >
> > In the UK this is not true, unless the PBX is free standing. If the PBX is
> > connected to the PSTN you may only connect approved products to it. In many
> > countries a PBX is considered an adequate barrier, to avoid approvals issues with
> > attached equipment.
>
> In Australia you also need to have approved ("Austel Approved") equipment even
> on a PABX. Even mobile phones (or hand phones/cell phones, depending what part
> of the world you are in) must be Austel Approved or you risk a massive fine.
>
> I believe it is the same in many countries.
>
> My Xircom CEM336 'global' modem (and ethernet) has a large number of approvals
> both on the PCMCIA card and on the modem dongle itself. I believe that's the
> only difference between the 'global' and the 'normal' models, but it makes for
> a significant price difference in order to make the thing legal in a large
> number of countries.

Actually, cell-phones are one of the bright spots in this. To encourage roaming, most
countries have had the good sense to cross-accept GSM approvals conducted in other
countries against the ETSI compliance tests. Approvals bodies have no such motivation
to wake up to the needs of the roaming laptop user. They probably won't any any time
in the forseeable future.

A few modems do have multiple approvals now, but I bet you want to go places the
approval doesn't cover. There are some incompatibilities in approvals requirements
which I think may make true global approvals impossible on a single modem. [Yes, I
know global approval is impossible, as some countries still won't allow the approval
of anything the telco didn't supply. Let's just leave those out of the discussion.].

Steve