Re: bug in 2.3.18ac9 net/Config.in

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:08:46 +0200 (MET_DST)

On 28 Sep 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> bbh> Needs to be:
>
> bbh> if [ "$CONFIG_INET" = "y" ]; then tristate 'Acorn Econet/AUN
> bbh> protocols (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_ECONET fi
>
> bbh> Without the "then" statement, if you go to make menuconfig, and
> bbh> go to "Networking Options" it fails with this error:
>
> Now the questions is really why nobody fixes menuconfig instead. It
> seems that for every little irrelevant change either menuconfig or
> xconfig breaks for whatever stupid thing. If the situation is not
> improved we really should remove them from the kernel tree, they seem
> to cause more grief than good.

The principle shit in - shit out quite reasonably applies to both,
eventhough there are quite a lot of nasty bugs in xconfig (or at least
missing features)...

It's better to fix the Config.in files than to blame menuconfig/xconfig
each time... After all, we don't blame make if there are errors in the
Makefile's.

Then again, it would be nice if menuconfig did a proper bug-report, not
just a "there seems to be an error". By this I mean that it should report
what file the bug is in.

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </