Re: Pioneer DVD 114 vs. 2.2.5 ide driver

Derek J. Balling (dredd@megacity.org)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:26:09 -0700

At 05:56 PM 9/28/99 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > Here is an extract. The interesting thing is on the second last line.
> > It says that the drive speed is 0X. In fact, it is 10X (in whatever
> > way drive makesrs specify speed).
> >
> > hdc: ATAPI 0X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache
>
>The 103S Pioneer DVD drive reports 0 speed as well. Don't worry
>about it, it has no effect on its performance.

I think the point he's making is that, regardless of whether it affects
performance or not, it's the wrong speed figure. I freely admit to not
knowing the first thing about the code (I lurk on linux-kernel mainly to
keep abreast of what's new and upcoming, not because I have any C
programming skill), but if this is a commonality to DVD drives, then why
not just skip reporting the speed entirely. (e.g., report "hdc: ATAPI
DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache"). Or, alternatively, if the speed is "0", skip
the speed (since we know that unless your CD-ROM is broken, it's probably
faster than zero-speed *g*)

Just $0.02 worth from the peanut gallery.