Re: high load on heavy disk i/o (fwd)

Richard Scobie (r.scobie@clear.net.nz)
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:59:28 +0000

On Wed, 30 Sep 1999, Ronald Wahl wrote:

> I dunno if it's really SCSI related (that was the reason of my resend to
> the linux-kernel list). But I can't believe that the system becomes so
> extremly busy that no other programs could be started during creating
> cd-images or similar things.

I do not know if it is related, but a couple of weeks ago, I had a
similar problem.

On running "cp -ax / archive", to create a backup for burning to CD, the
system exhibited similar symptoms. CPU usage went to 100%, load was over
3 and X became very sluggish, with the mouse pointer updating taking
several seconds. Running top showed that kflushd was using 35-40% CPU.

I repeated this several times with the same result. This was with kernel
2.2.10 + raid patch.

Currently, I cannot reproduce the problem. I now run 2.2.12 + latest
raid patch and the latest snapshot of the egcs compiler, ( an earlier
version used to compile 2.2.10).

The system is a PII300, 64Mb, 2x Quantum EIDE drives in raid 0.

Regards,

Richard Scobie