Re: Ethernet errors

Brian May (bam@snoopy.apana.org.au)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 21:19:51 +1000

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 01:55:53PM +0000, Thomas Speck wrote:
> However, it is _very_ hard to reproduce the conditions under which they
> occur. I am looking after that now for quite some time.

Heres what seems to make my card crash the most: being a server for
NFS-Root systems, and installing packages via Debian's dpkg. It doesn't
happen straight away, but when it does, it does without any warning.

I have swapped my NE2000 card with another (exactly the same) and the
problem still exists. I have now swapped the card for an 3COM Etherlink
III, and so far it seems OK, but it has only been several hours uptime.
Even the NE2000 sometimes could last several days.

I suspect in my case, Linux was doing something, that with the
combination of my Motherboard and Ne2000 card, caused the network card
to reset its configuration to its factory default.

Lets wait and see if my 3COM card crashes...

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>