Re: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 18:54:34 +0100 (BST)

> From: Nathan Hand <nathanh@chirp.com.au>
> > - XFree86 (uses mmap and user space dma)
>
> XFree86 will move to /dev/fb as soon as it is practical. This is to

No. XFree86 supports fb as a target. Thats totally different.

> increase the security (and stability to the kernel) as well as greater
> portability. This is also one of the goals of the GGI project.

Actually it reduces portability. The mmap/userspace setup it has no is
portably over a whole array of OS's . That is also why most video capture
in XFree 4.0 will not go via the kernel. since most of the video capture
is very closely tied to the video card it makes sense.

> > - SANE (uses scsi generic, perhaps ide-scsi emulation)
> I believe the application also recommends not putting anything else on the same
> SCSI but the scanner.

Thats because the scanners are rather crap at SCSI.

Alan