Re: Katmai/PIII support in Redhat kernels

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 20:05:30 +0100 (BST)

> "Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:
> > Hi,
> > On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:34:31 -0700, David Dunn <ddunn@transmeta.com>
> > said:
> > > I need to know if support for KNI has propagated into
> > > supported kernels. In particular, Redhat kernels. I need
> > > this on my workstation, but can't afford to get out on the
> > > hairy edge where MIS won't support me.
> > I think that a lot of Linux people have been experimenting with
> > in-kernel speed optimisations, not just for KNI but for MMX checksum and
> > fp-based bulk copy --- all sorts of speed hacks. However, ...
>
> Anyone doing Athlon extensions?
> Adding support similar to the SSE stuff
> should be possible.

The current KNI extensions should make 2.3.x at some time. There is still a lot
to resolve on that one. Hopefully support for using them in user space only
at least will make 2.4

I've done basic Athlon stuff. I've yet to do copy*user and its like the KNI
stuff partly a problem of figuring how to handle the FPU/MMX braindamage
on X86 cpus