Re: cannot delete directory - why?

Brian May (bam@snoopy.apana.org.au)
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 19:54:55 +1000

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 10:13:03AM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Brian May wrote:
>
> > Is this a sign of filesystem curruption? I hope not - up to now Linux
> > has been very reliable in this respect.
>
> Does fsck think so? Force it to check hdb2 after you unmount it.

Couldn't umount it - said it was busy.

ls -l /proc/*/fd | grep homes

reported nothing (that was my primitive way of checking
what programs may have had files open under /homes).

Shutdown killed all programs, but still this file system was
busy. It was remounted readonly.

Restart, force system into single user more, force e2fsck, no
errors found.

Everything now works fine and as expected.

Perhaps I should mention what occured earlier- it may not
be significant, but a bit unusual, so I should mention it.

I wanted to remove /homes/diskless/slink/root, so I typed rm -rf
/homes/diskless/slink/root. This command was taking for ages, when I
suddenly realized that /homes/diskless/slink/root/proc was mounted with
the proc filesystem. Yuck. Not what I meant to occur. I canceled the rm
operation, unmounted the proc filesystem, when I noticed the problems
with /homes/diskless/slink/root/dev/pts. I never at any stage mounted
the pts filesystem.

Come to think of it, I may have ran some configuration programs that
mounted pts automagically when I was in a chroot environment. That would
make sense. Oh well, in that case please forget this problem report ;-)

Is the error: no such file or directory expected though?

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>