Re: Kernel optimization

Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:26:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> i'm currently working on some code size optimizations for
> the linux kernel (e.g. killing debug messages, ...)
>
> now my question:
>
> what's about the whole bootup code (./arch/.../boot/ ), which
> is only used on kernel bootup (right?) ?
>
> is it freed after the kernel has booted up; if not, is there
> a way to do it ?
>
> what's about the message "freeing unused kernel memory" ?

Err. Grr. That's what it does. Most of the bootup messages are
helpful checkpoints so we can see how far the kernel has gotten
if it halts on startup. They are just as important as all the
'wasted' gdt selectors in head.S.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
**** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ****
Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).