Re: very large ide disk/IBM-DPTA-353750 problem

Stefan Eilemann (Stefan.Eilemann@simpack.de)
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 07:17:39 +0200 (MDT)

On 01-Oct-99 Guest section DW wrote:
> From: Stefan Eilemann <Stefan.Eilemann@simpack.de>
> To: drive@sg.ibm.com, linux-kernel@magic.metawire.com
> Subject: very large ide disk/IBM-DPTA-353750 problem
>
> i recently bought the above harddisk as a backup medium for our
> fileserver running Linux 2.2.12. After reading a lot of
information
> (howto, web, mailing lists), i am still not able to set up the
> partion
> table correctly. The maximum size i get of the harddisk (whole
> device)
> is 5.2 GB. According to
> http://ldp.kubota.com.au/HOWTO/mini/Large-Disk-4.html
> there was a 33.8 GB Limit in August 1999. Exist this limit still
> today?
> Are there any workarounds, patches or a possibility to access
only
> 33.8 GB?
>
> You need not complain to drive@sg.ibm.com - IBM made beautiful disks,
> it is just that our IDE code was a bit naive and stored a number of
> cylinders in a short.
> Several patches exist - some were posted here on linux-kernel -
> but maybe the appropriate thing would be to try Linux 2.3.18ac9
> or so first. Please report on success.
I have not complained about that nor said that they make bad drives. It
was just a question/hint to them that there may be a problem. I am
working on the problem, but trying 2.3.x is now option since this is a
production server.
Thanks,
Stefan