Re: Kernel 2.2.11 crash...

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 03:21:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

>> flawlessly on my system, at least til now... The kernel is stock
>> from the tarball. I have VMWARE installed, and had Windows NT 4.0
>> running in KDE with a game of StarCraft running but on PAUSE. The
>> VMWARE release is 1.0 build 291 release candidate 1. The VMWARE
>> modules loaded are the ones that come with it which are for kernel
>> 2.2.10, but which work fine with 2.2.11.
>
>If you have 3rd party modules loaded then its not a useful oops report.
>It could be the third party modules.

So does that mean that as long as I'm using VMWARE, which is
virtually 100% of the time, that if I incur an oops, it is
useless and unwanted on l-k because VMWARE _might_ have caused
it?

If so, what if the bug had nothing whatsoever to do with VMWARE,
but was in fact a legit kernel bug? Is there not a way to tell
at all?

Forgive me, as I know not what VMWARE's modules really do,
however the source code for them is there for perusal (but over
my head).

>> lockup with LONG uptimes. The video in VMWARE *WAS* messed up however
>> when I turned my monitor on.
>
>Thats suggestive of VMWARE but not proof.

Right. For what it is worth, I've been using this same version
of VMWARE on this same kernel for over a month or a month and a
half, at which time I had 26+ days uptime...

VMWARE was not running all that time, but was running on and off
during that time, and working fantastically.

At any rate, I hope that someone looks at the report at least
long enough to determine that it is useful, or indeterminant
based on vmware's modules being loaded.

If Oops reports are 100% useless with 3rd party modules loaded,
then that kindof sucks because it is such a useful application,
and the source for the modules is available (comes with it).

Perhaps someone could hack up some debugging info into their
modules? Would this help any?

Anyone know if the vmware modules are GPL?

Thanks for the quick response Alan - as always... For now,
unless someone suggests something else, I'll assume that my
answer is:
"Upgrade to 2.2.12, and apply patch xxx, and yyy (please
tell me what they are) to stabilize 2.2.12 until 2.2.13 comes
out, then get it. Also, upgrade VMWARE to the latest released
version."

Take care!
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

[insert witty random tagline or cool URL here]